Meals on Wheels Montgomery County is proud to introduce The Kitchen Diary, featuring favorite recipes from Executive Director Summer Day. As someone who enjoys cooking and living a healthy life, Summer will share delicious recipes relevant to the seasons. We hope you and your family enjoy as much as we do!
January 2019 Entry – Italian Stuffed Peppers
With the holidays behind us, we find ourselves in the slower days of winter. Lazy afternoons are often spent curled up with a good book or enjoying favorite TV show reruns. Our bodies seem to crave more rest and relaxation after the busy past couple of months. We find ourselves indoors more, sharing common spaces with our family and friends.
It is also during this time that our immune systems are challenged with the ever-looming cold and flu season. One easy way to combat germs is through a healthy, vitamin rich diet. It is not a secret that vitamin C has been shown to strengthen our immune systems, but did you know it also lowers hypertension, heals wounds, helps maintain skin elasticity and offers protection against cardiovascular and eye disease? WOW…pass the orange juice please!
Fun fact: While citrus fruits are an excellent source of vitamin C, one cup of red bell pepper contains three times more of this valuable nutrient than an orange!
Italian Stuffed Peppers
1 lb. lean ground turkey
3 large red bell peppers, halved with seeds and ribs removed
1 small sweet onion diced
1 garlic clove minced
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 ½ cups marinara sauce
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. In large skillet, sauté onions, garlic and turkey until cooked through
3. Stir in marinara, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and cook until heated through
4. Remove from heat and set aside
5. Line baking sheet with foil and place peppers, cut side up on baking sheet
6. Fill peppers with meat mixture and bake for 25 minutes, or until peppers are slightly softened and filling is heated through
7. Top with remaining cheeses and bake until cheese is melted and bubbling