Meals on Wheels Montgomery County
Serving the Homebound Elderly in Our Community Since 1973
Cooking and driving are two of the most common daily-living skills lost with age. Unable to safely perform these tasks, seniors face malnourishment, a loss of independence, and a lack of human connection. MOWMC offers the following services to target these problems of aging – ensuring local seniors receive the nourishment and care they so desperately need.
- Meal Delivery: nutritious, prepared meals delivered to the door of homebound seniors. Click here for meal delivery details.
- Transportation: ADA-compliant transportation for seniors who are still able to leave home. Click here for details about Senior Rides.
Seniors are the fastest growing population in Montgomery County. These services provide peace of mind for them and their families, while improving the health and well-being of our community.
Meals on Wheels Impact
For a cost less than 1 day in a hospital or 10 days in a nursing home, MOWMC can deliver an entire year’s worth of meals to 1 homebound senior. It’s one of the most effective senior services in America today, allowing seniors to age in place – in the comfort of their own home.
With your help, we deliver:
- nourishment – eliminating food insecurity for homebound seniors, with life-sustaining meals delivered to their door.
- social visits – providing a sense of community so that a senior living by themselves no longer feels alone.
- wellness checks – a sense of security for isolated seniors, knowing someone will be by to regularly check on them.
- a ride – transporting seniors to critical appointments and errands, helping them remain independent.
By helping seniors age in place with proper care, these services offset the economic spending associated with malnourishment among seniors – totaling $51 billion annually.
Meet Our Seniors
Our seniors thank you for your support. Read their amazing stories and get to know the individuals we’ve gotten to know and grown to love through Meals on Wheels.
Mr. Tucker A retired engineer, Mr. Tucker served in the Korean War. When stateside, he continued to work on guided missiles before transitioning his career to NASA. After retiring, Mr. Tucker transitioned once again to work as a Baptist Minister. Checking in on a...
Wayne and his wife, Alice, were married 47 years, and she handled all the housework, cooking, and cleaning. When she passed away eight years ago, Wayne was unsure how he would manage without her. Luckily, Meals on Wheels Montgomery County provided a solution that...
Audrey grew up in England during WWII. One evening, she went to see the film Neptune’s Daughter and it was there her life changed forever. The theatre was nearly empty when a big, tall American asked if he could have the seat next to her. After the movie, they enjoyed...
Since 1973, we’ve been working with the community to improve the lives of homebound seniors. Read our story to learn more about where we’ve been, and where we are today.
Today, we rely on hundreds volunteers, thousands of donors, and dozens of partnerships to serve the growing senior population in Montgomery County. Learn how you can join the MOWMC family and support local seniors.